Friday, October 30, 2009

Windows 7: Adjust the Size System Restore Points

Windows automatically backups certain area of your operating system, under different conditions. These backups are called Restore Points, and are generally triggered when you make some kind of change to the OS, such as installing a new program or driver.

I don't recommend modifying this setting, but you may need to depending on the circumstances such as you're running low on disk space.
  • Under the Start menu, open the Control Panels.
  • Open up the System control panel applet.
  • In the left pane, click the "System protection" link
In the list under Protection Settings, you can see which volumes have this feature enabled. You can also click on the partition that you want to adjust, and press the Configure button. A new dialog will open, and present you with a slider that you can use to change the the amount of storage this feature will use.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, system restore was turned off when I installed Windows, so I've turned it on but don't know how much space to allocation for each drive. Any advice?

Adam said...

is it ok to change it to another drive? by default,it wants to use my 64GB SSD,that windows is sitting on.I'd like to spare the space restore points take up,by having them placed on my much larger HDD.

Adam said...

is it ok to change it to another drive? by default,it wants to use my 64GB SSD,that windows is sitting on.I'd like to spare the space restore points take up,by having them placed on my much larger HDD.